Having a cat or a dog is cool and can be plenty of fun. But you know what is not cool? Your pet leaving a mess on your new carpet or rug.
Obviously, it is not your pet’s fault. However, you can’t just have your carpet looking dirty and smelling like pee. It is not only an embarrassment, but it also may find that having and caring for a pet is unbearable.
The good news is that there are a lot of great products our there to help you battle carpet dirt, and bring back the joy of owning a pet. We have reviewed the best pet carpet cleaners that are designed to to get rid of both pet stains and pet odors.
Not only does this post review the best pet stain carpet cleaning machines and cleaning agents. It also includes a step-by-step guide to help you get rid of even the toughest stains and lingering odors.
I want to begin this post with reviewing pet cleaning machines that are a must for every pet owner. Also, I’m going to give you a list of my top picks for cleaning solution when it comes to pets and tacking tough stains.
Let’s begin with the best carpet cleaners.
THE BEST PET CARPET CLEANERS
1. The BISSELL SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Portable Deep Cleaner (Our Top Pick For An Automatic Cleaner)
With this pet carpet cleaner, you really do not need to do much. It is a set and forget unit that works efficiently to remove stain and odor while you do something else. Just set the unit on top of the stain that you want to remove: set in stain or surface stain, and watch the machine do the rest.
The fact that it’s automatic is one of the reasons people think this machine is the best carpet shampooer available.
Once you set it, this portable deep cleaner will spray the pet carpet cleaner on the spot and then thoroughly brush the area to remove the stain. Finally, it will suction off everything leaving your carpet looking fresh and clean.
The SpotBot wins the Tidy Ted best bot cleaner for pet stains, and in our testing we find that this machine works very well.
- Rapid spiral brushing motion: This unique brushing motion removes even deep-set stains and spots to thoroughly clean any carpet.
- Automatic cleaning: The spray cycles, the brushing motion, and the suction can all be preset easily and the machine left to do its job.
- Two cleaning modes: The modes are quick clean and deep clean for fresh and set-in stains, respectively.
- Suction hose: The machine has a three-inch suction hose that can be used to remove tough stains or to reach places it can’t go.
- Portable: Compact enough for easy carrying and storage.
- It is a bit of a learning curve to learn how to use it perfectly. However, once mastered, it is possibly the best pet carpet cleaner there is.
- Weight: 14 pounds
- Cord length: 15 ft.
- Formula included: Yes
2. BISSELL Pet Stain Eraser 2003T Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner (Our Top Pick For A Compact Pet Cleaner)
Unlike the automatic Bissell carpet cleaner above, this model is a handheld model. It is light, powerful and cordless for cleaning rugs, carpets, stairs, car interiors, and upholstery. The fact that it is light and cordless makes it easier to use around the house.
Many users refer to it as the pet stain eraser and regard it as one of the best carpet cleaner for old pet urine.
It is especially nice to use to clean stubborn spots because it really focuses its suction power on a small area to ensure success.
The Bissell Pet Stain Eraser wins the best compact cleaner for pets, so if you want a power unit that’s small and compact – this is your best choice.
- Complete pet carpet cleaner: You can use it to spray, scrub, and suction dirt and stains.
- Lightweight handheld pet stain remover: Extremely convenient to use as it is cordless, portable, and handheld.
- 15-minute runtime battery: Enough time to clean even the most stubborn spots.
- Comes with its own cleaning agent: The cleaning agent is ready to use. No need to mix with water or anything else.
- Easy to maintain: The suction nozzle can easily be disassembled for quick cleaning and maintenance.
- Versatile: Can clean most types of messes from carpets including urine, cola, dirt, grape juice, and coffee. It can also clean car interiors and upholstery.
- It leaks when it is sitting up and not in use.
- The cord does not allow users to move quickly around the cleaning area.
- Weight: 14 pounds
- Cord length: N/A
- Formula included: Yes
3. Rug Doctor Pet Portable Spot Cleaner (Our Top Pick For The Best Rated Spot Cleaner)
This Rug Doctor machine is the solution for all kinds of stains including vomit, poop, and urine stains on carpets. The solution comes in the form of a powerful suction force that can eliminate stains, dirt, and odors from carpets, rugs, and other surfaces.
The suction force is powerful enough for a professional-style cleaning of messes. So if you want your carpet or rug looking fresh and smelling clean, get this is the unit for you.
The Rug Doctor Pet Cleaner is the Tidy Ted best choice based on user feedback, reviews and ratings. It’s not the smallest unit, but its power and performance makes it one of the best pet cleaners on the market.
- Powerful suction: This machine has 2X the suction power of ordinary pet cleaners. So you can definitely expect twice the power and cleanness.
- Rubberized bristles: The bristles sweep away and loosen dirt and debris, while the suction does the rest.
- Retractable handle and wheels: This Rug Doctor pet cleaner has a retractable handle and comes with wheels. You will find it very convenient to move around.
- Very easy to use: It is compact, lightweight, and does not have a learning curve. You simply set it up and get to work.
- Some users complain that the handle is not the most ergonomic one and that it is, therefore, not suitable for extended use.
- Weight: 19.85 pounds
- Cord length: 15 – 16 ft.
- Formula included: No
4. Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner (Best Upright Cleaner)
- Cleaning tank capacity (gallons) - 1. Dual cross action brushes oscillate and rotate to scrub carpet fibers from every angle powering away dirt and stains to deliver a professional-grade deep clean and soft, plush results
- 75 percent more suction than comparable carpet cleaning machines slashes drying time; quick dry in four hours or less; simple lift clean and dirty water tanks make refilling and emptying easy
Like the above Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaner, this model also offers professional-grade cleaning. However, unlike the previous model which is a spot cleaner, this one is a complete carpet cleaner that makes light work even of large carpet cleaning jobs.
It does this through its dual action cleaning mechanism; fast-rotating bristles to lift away stains and dirt and a powerful suction force to vacuum clean and dry up the area. The end result of using it is always a deep cleaned and fresh smelling carpet.
This Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner is the Tidy Ted choice for the best deep cleaning upright shampooer. If you are looking for a unit that won’t just be effective in cleaning stains, but your entire carpet, this unit is the best choice.
- Dual-action mechanism: Has a fast-rotating brush and a powerful suction force for deep cleaning. It is more powerful than most other carpet cleaners.
- Wide 12-inch suction head: This makes it easier to cover more surface in less time.
- Super boost: Has a super boost mode that allows you to inject even more pet carpet cleaner sprat into rugs for a deeper clean.
- Handheld cleaner: Includes a handheld 7.7-inch wide cleaning hose that enables you to conveniently clean upholstery and to reach those hard-to-reach areas.
- Well-designed: Its design makes it lightweight, compact, and easy to maneuver.
- The tank is smallish and not best for cleaning large carpets at a go.
- You have to position the machine well to prevent it from leaking when the tank is full.
- Weight: 24 pounds
- Cord length: 20ft.
- Formula included: No
BEST CARPET SOLUTION FOR PET STAINS
Now that you are familiar with the best carpet cleaners, it is time to introduce you to the best pet carpet cleaning solutions that you can use them with.
#1 – BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner – Pet Odor Eliminator Review
We have provided the best price on Amazon.
This pet stain remover and odor eliminator is probably better than anything you have ever used. It is enzyme based to bio-actively eliminate even deep-set stains and dry old stains.
Moreover, when you use it, it will effectively neutralize any smell on the spot to prevent your dog or cat from using it again as a potty place.
According to user reviews, this is one of best pet carpet cleaner solution for removing cat urine smell from carpets, rugs, and even hardwood floors.
This is by far Tidy Ted’s choice for a cleaning solution for pets and their stains.
What You’ll Love
- It is one of the best pet carpet cleaner sprays that is scientifically formulated with enzymes to terminate tough stains and odors.
- Extremely safe pet carpet cleaner solution to use around pets and kids.
- Deep cleaning formula that easily removes even old stains and odors (SATISFACTION GUARANTEED).
- Top-rated best pet carpet cleaner solution by verified purchasers and the Carpet and Rug Institute.
- Versatile pet carpet cleaning agent that can be used not only on carpets but in the laundry room, the bathroom, the kitchen, and the car. It removes almost all types of stains and odors from carpets, rugs, and surface.
What You May Not Like
- It has a strong scent.
#2 – Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover Review
You won’t believe the price that we found you. Click here to head over to Amazon and see for yourself.
Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover is our #2 pick. This cleaning solution, according to our research, is extremely effective. It’s formula, which is a enzymatic cleaner, is very powerful but safe around you home.
What You’ll Love
- It is specifically formulated to eliminate the toughest stains and odors (it is 3X stronger than ordinary pet stain removers).
- It has special enzymes that it uses to break down extreme stains and deep-set odors for higher effectiveness.
- It safe to use to remove cat and dog poop, urine, and vomit from carpets, rugs, clothing, fluffy toys, bedding, and upholstery.
- Comes in a bottle with best pet carpet cleaner spray nozzle that can be set to create a stream, mist, or foam.
What You May Not Like
- Has a stronger scent than the regular version.
#3 – Simple Green 32 oz. Bio Dog Pet Stain and Odor Remover Review
We want to start with the best price we could find you. It’s real good! Check it out here on Amazon.
This Simple Green cleaning agent is for those looking to remove stubborn dog urine or poop stains. It is bioactive and works effectively.
Most importantly, it is also specifically formulated to neutralize even strong odors.
What You’ll Love
- The formulation is not toxic to pets.
- It can eliminate both new and old stains.
- Eliminates set-in stains and odors.
- It can be used to clean carpets, fabrics, rugs, and upholstery.
What You May Not Like
- Some users think it is best used to scrub out stains by hand and not in a carpet cleaning machine.
HOW TO REMOVE STAINS LEFT BY PETS
Use the following steps to eliminate even the toughest poop and urine stains from your carpets and rugs:
If it is urine, soak it up using paper towels or tissue paper. You could also alternatively use the Bissell SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Portable Deep Cleaner to suck up the urine on the surface of the carpet.
If it is poop, you’ve got to scrape it up. Get disposable gloves if you have the stomach to directly pick up solid messes.
For any messes on carpets, the key is to act fast. Don’t let the stain have time to get deep into your carpet because this makes cleaning it a whole more challenging.
Simply blotting the urine usually does not get rid of both the stain and the odor. You need to use a powerful cleaning agent. Tidy Ted’s #1 recommendation is to use BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner. You will most likely need to spray the agent on the spot, let it soak and then scrub (If you have no machine to suck it up). This is why I suggest all pet owners purchase a spot cleaner for their carpets because scrubbing pet stains can push the stain deeper into the carpet or damage the carpet. The best way is to remove the excess waste, treat the stain with a cleaning solution and then suck up the solution and stain.
Sometimes you have to do it repeatedly for the best results.
If the poop stain is messy, you got to dab as much of it as possible to remove it from your carpet before you start scrubbing. Otherwise, you will end up spreading the mess. Use a wet towel for effective dabbing and then use a cleaning agent as in the case of urine stain.
There is usually no need for this step if you use a good cleaning agent such as BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner or any of the other ones reviewed above. This is because the two steps are enough to permanently remove both stain and lingering urine and poop smells.
However, if you can get even the faintest smell of urine or poop from the area after a while, you should create a small 1:1 mixture of warm water and white vinegar to clean the stain. Otherwise, your dog or cat will start using the spot as their regular bathroom.
Spray the solution onto your carpet until it is visibly wet. When you do this, the solution will most likely neutralize any urine or poop odor.
Dry the area using a vacuum. You could use an ordinary vacuum or one of the specialized ones like the Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner. This will leave the spot dry and looking like the rest of your carpet or rug.
It is very unlikely that you will be able to remember exactly where your dog or cat pooped or urinated after a day or two.
As you can see, tough stains are not really that tough to remove. You just need to find yourself the right pet carpet cleaner and the best pet carpet cleaner spray and you will be good to go.
Do not forget to use the four-step stain and odor removal guide to properly clean the mess left by your cat or dog.
If you haver any questions or commends please use the comment sections below.